Long Waits and Quick Fixes

We have passed the one month mark in Colombia! We have finished the 5th week of life in Colombia.

Let's consider my late blog posting as a cultural exchange of Colombian CosteƱo culture from me to my lovely readers! I intend to publish full posts over my weekend trips to Cartagena and Medellin. But for the time being, here's a little something to satisfy your cravings. This weekend my friends and I are heading to Tayrona, so internet access is likely to be extremely limited.

Cats are protected here in UniNorte, so here are just a few pictures of the family of felines that wander aimlessly through our school halls.






My schedule is finally set now! I am taking four courses (3 in Spanish, including a Spanish course, and another in English over Race and Cultural Identity in Colombia). I am also signed up for two dance classes: Salsa and Folcloric. As I and the other exchange students explained to other local students in our classes: to dance is apparently not in our blood. I can't bop it like my Colombian peers. It's an entertaining time. I'm also sneaking into some Yoga classes and potentially a meditation class that were "full" during registration.

Some observations:

  • "Long Waits and Quick Fixes" has been the episode title for the last month. Oh you don't have a schedule? Oh, you can get it next week maybe. Update: waited 3 hours 3 separate times for a 10 minute session that involved mostly greetings, struggling Spanish, and 10 clicks of a mouse to a solution. Equal parts frustrating and relieving. 
  • Colombian food is incredible. There is quite a bit of variety everywhere in Colombia. My host dad and chef, Pedro, is a great cook. 
  • I've lost count of the number of times when people have approached me on the street or in stores singularly to welcome me to Colombia. So many adults with children actively look out for our safety on public transit, advising us this way or that. And every time we've looked lost or uncomfortable, a couple has approached us to give directions. 
  • Always cold showers. I've learned to appreciate them.
  • When it rains, everything in Colombia is on pause. No one is at the gym, half the classes are canceled. It's for good reason: when it rains, my neighborhood loses electricity, internet, and water. 

Comments

Popular Posts